When I saw that Abby had posted “cheese hoppers” (read her post for the explanation of that name) for the Twitter Chef Avatar Fun I immediately knew I had to make them, too. My family loves cheesy snacks! And now we have a new favorite cheesy snack – Cheese Hoppers ;-)!
I didn’t have the exact spice mixture the recipe called for, so I left out onion powder (never heard of it), celery salt (never heard of it, either), and dry mustard powder. This recipe already had called for dry mustard powder, and after some explanations my Twitter pals had given me I ordered it from an online source, but for some reason the package never got it here :-(.
Beware: these are ADDICTIVE!!!!!!!!!
Cheesy Snacks (aka Cheese Hoppers)
(adapted from Emeril Lagasse)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp baby bam (Emeril’s spice mixture made of: paprika, salt, dried parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme, celery salt)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 egg white
- Mix flour, cheese, spices in a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
- Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cold water and pulse until mixture becomes a smooth dough.
- Form dough into a disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough to a 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut the dough using tiny cookie cutters (about 1 inch). Gather up leftover scraps, reroll and recut.
- Place cut out shapes on a baking sheet and paint with egg whites.
- Bake in a 375F oven for 15 minutes.