My kids have a new favorite meal – Macaroni and Cheese. You might wonder how these poor kids have survived without Mac & Cheese until now – well, this is not a common meal in Germany. Of course I’ve heard about it, and during my study abroad year in the US looooong ago I had quite a few packages of Kraft Mac & Cheese (White Cheddar, yay!), but I’ve never made it from scratch. So this month, when I was browsing through several of James Beard’s recipes who is this month’s chef for the Twitter Chef Avatar Fun I noticed there was a Mac & Cheese recipe and thought it would be a great idea to finally make real American macaroni and cheese from scratch. If I had known my kids would love it as much as they did, I’d probably have looked for a recipe much earlier. And yes, I made it with white cheddar to commemorate my stay in the US😉. This is a keeper!!!
Macaroni and Cheese
(adapted from James Beard)
- 1/2 pound macaroni (I used 10,5 oz instead of 8 oz)
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t dry mustard (I have no idea what DRY mustard is so I omitted it)
- dash of Tabasco (I never use Tabasco and didn’t want to buy it for this dish only so I omitted it)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used 5,3 oz white cheddar which was 1 really packed cup)
- buttered bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil the macaroni in salted water till just tender. Drain well.
- To prepare a white sauce, melt the butter in a heavy saucepan, blend with the flour, and cook several minutes over medium heat. Heat the milk to the boiling point (I omitted this point and just added the cold milk to the roux), stir into the flour-butter mixture, and continue stirring till it thickens. Add the seasonings and simmer 4 to 5 minutes.
- Butter a baking dish or casserole. In it arrange alternate layers of macaroni, sauce, and cheese, ending with cheese. Cover the top with buttered crumbs. Bake for 25 minutes (I baked it for 32 minutes), or until the top is nicely browned and the sauce is bubbly.
Yield: 6 servings (hmm, here it yielded 5 servings, even with the bigger amount of macaroni).