Last weekend, I needed a cake recipe that could be whipped up really quickly. I remembered the lemon and almond cake Sally had blogged about quite a while ago and thought this was the perfect recipe for a summer day. And indeed, it was. The recipe is easy, and the cake is really refreshing. My family was thrilled!
Torta Di Limone e Mandorle
(adapted from Twelve – A Tuscan Cook Book by Tessa Kiros)
- 4 1/2 oz butter
- 4 1/2 oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 4 1/2 oz almonds, finely ground
- 2 1/4 oz AP flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- juice and zest of 2 lemons
- powdered sugar
- Heat the oven to 355°F.
- Prepare a springform pan (8 inches diameter) by coating it with butter and dusting with flour.
- Beat the butter with the sugar until it forms a cream. Add the egg yolks, one by one, beating after each addition.
- Whisk in the almonds, the sifted flour and the baking powder.
- Add the lemon juice, the zest, and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks form, and fold them into the batter.
- Scrape the batter into the springform pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is lightly golden.
- Let it cool slightly before opening the springform pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar.