I’ve recently started making cheese at home because I had discovered a website called Forging Fromage. Nothing really difficult yet (paneer & yogurt cheese so far), but I have to start somewhere, right? Anyway, the next cheese on my line-up was cottage cheese.
Fresh Cottage Cheese
(adapted from “How to Cook Everything Vegetarian” by Mark Bittman)
- 1 quart of milk
- 4 tblsp lime juice
- 1 tblsp Herbs of Tuscany
- Put the milk in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally to keep it from scorching, until the milk starts to bubble, 10-15 minutes.
- Line a strainer with 3 layers of cheesecloth.
- Add the lime juice to the boiling milk all at once and stir constantly until the mixture separates into curds and whey. Remove from the heat and stir in a large pinch of salt.
- Pour the curds and whey into the cloth-lined strainer and stir in 1 tblsp of Herbs of Tuscany.
- Leave the curds loose in the strainer until they’ve drained the amount of moisture you desire, about 20-30 minutes.
- Scoop the curds into a container and store in the refrigerator.