Here’s my mellow post about the Mellow Bakers‘ July Breads. I managed to bake all three breads – YAY! My absolute favorite this month were the Bialys – I made them today and they were a big hit around here.
70% Rye with a Rye Soaker and Whole-Wheat Flour
Quite early in the month, I made the 70% rye with a rye soaker and WW flour. When I made the dough I had a globby mess that wasn’t shapeable at all, so I added more flour to be able to shape a loaf. Later on, I read Abby’s post who also said her dough turned out a sticky, globby mess – so I guess I wasn’t the only one having problems with this bread. The result was ok, though. My kids didn’t like it, but I thought it made great toast!
I had been warned by Abby’s post that this bread would turn out quite salty, so when I got ready to make this recipe I made sure I wouldn’t only make a 3/8 recipe, but also cut down the amount of salt. Many people were saying that this bread was ok for a bread made in one day, but nothing really exceptional. I second that. It was really easy to make – unfortunately I overproofed it a little bit, I think (see initial picture). Because of the overproofing, I had big trouble scoring the dough – I ended up scoring only one baguette, which totally deflated, and left the other 2 baguettes unscored. The flavor was ok, nothing great, but I had intended to use the baguettes for herbed butter baguettes for a BBQ evening anyway, so it didn’t play a really big role because the herbed butter would overlay the bread’s flavor anyway. I definitely prefer the BBA Pain à l’Ancienne, but if I need some baguettes the same evening I might come back to Hamelman’s recipe.
These were GREAT! I’ll definitely make them again. This is a very nice 1-day bread, and even though Hamelman doesn’t say anything about putting the dough in the fridge, I figured I could try it. I made the dough in the morning, then I stuck it into the fridge because we left for the Sandmännchen-Ausstellung (the Sandman’s Exhibition). About 4 hours later, I pulled it out of the fridge (the dough, not the sandman) and let it come to room temperature for about 2 hours. Then I formed 3-ounce balls and let them rise for another 1 1/2 hours. Then I formed the hollows, leaving a thin membrane in the center. I made sure to make the intendation really wide because Paul had mentioned they would puff up in the oven so much so that the holes would nearly fill in. I even scored the intendation so I wouldn’t have the same happening to me as Abby. I then filled the intendations with the onion breadcrumb mixture I had prepared 2 days earlier, baked them in a 480°F oven for 10 minutes and pulled out wonderful, lightly brown bialys. They didn’t only smell heavenly, but also tasted really great. My kids LOVED them! Even though they hadn’t been boiled, they reminded me of bagels flavorwise. I haven’t been really successful with my bagel attempts yet, but I think the bialy dough could make great bagels. I’ll give this a try and report my results here!