I seem to have way too much time because I have signed up for another challenge – the Tigress’ Can Jam: it’s all about canning. Every month we’ll focus on a given fruit or vegetable to preserve and blog about the result.
This month’s focus is citrus which includes fruit like oranges, lemons, grapefruit, kumquats, limes, clementines etc. I surfed the internet and found a really interesting recipe for a three-citrus marmalade that caught my eye. I bought all the ingredients – 3 organic oranges, 3 grapefruits, 7 kumquats and 1 carambola (star fruit) – and started preparing the fruit. The recipe called for sectioning the oranges and grapefruit: this is when I thought the directions in the recipe were way too time-consuming for me (I was baking a bread parallelly and taking care of 3 little kids… you get the idea ;-)). So I decided to adapt Eugenia Bone’s directions she gives for a three-citrus marmalade in her book “Well Preserved” (she uses grapefruit, oranges and Meyer lemons – this marmalade sounds yummy, too, but as far as I know my friend Sara wants to submit this marmalade to the Can Jam; also, I think we don’t have Meyer lemons here in Germany).
Ok, so this is what I did. I cut the kumquats in halves and blanched them, peeled 2 grapefruits and 2 oranges and diced them. I grated the zest of 1 orange and cooked it in some water for about 20 minutes. Then I juiced this orange and the 3rd grapefruit. I sliced the carambola and diced the slices.
I added the cooked zest (not drained), the fruit dice and the juice to a pot, puréed everything and let it rest for 2 hours. Then I measured it: I got 4 1/2 cups. According to Eugenia Bone you need 1 cup of sugar for every 1 cup of pulp (aka purée), thus I added 4 1/2 cups of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of butter (this helps keep the marmalade from foaming up) to the purée and cooked it over medium heat for about 30 minutes until the temperature reached 220°F (thanks to my excessive bread baking I own a food thermometer ;-))
I sterilized five 0,42-pint jars, poured in the marmalade without leaving any headspace at the top of each jar, wiped the rims and screwed on the lids. Then I placed the jars in my electric waterbath canner, set the thermostat to 90°C (194°F) and processed them for 10 minutes (the processing time starts when the red lamp goes out).
I removed the jars from the canner and let them sit on the counter overnight. There was a little bit of marmalade left that wouldn’t fit in the jars – this I put in a little bowl and it got eaten the same evening and the next day. At first I thought I didn’t like the marmalade because it was kind of bitter, but the more I eat the more I like it. And I must admit, I’ve become pretty fond of my citrus marmalade by now :-). First challenge – first success. Looking forward to reading all the other citrus posts and waiting for the next fruit to be revealed.
Check out what some other fellow canners have produced: