As Sally wrote just yesterday there is definitely no shortage of banana bread recipes, and I want to add another post to the already huge pile of recipes today ;-). The original recipe is from David Lebovitz, but I stumbled upon it on Paul’s website. I have no idea why this is called banana BREAD, neither has Lebovitz nor Paul. Germans would never call this banana bread, even if it is baked in a loaf pan. They would call it Bananenkuchen which translates to banana cake.
The whole process of putting it together was quite easy. It’s just important that you take very ripe bananas (I think the same reason applies here as for the cocoa banana muffins I recently made). I didn’t have enough sour cream (the recipe calls for 1/2 cup, and I had only 1/3 cup left from the aforementioned muffins recipe which called for 1/2 cup, too), so I added some milk that I had infused with lemon juice (yes, mock buttermilk) to the sour cream. Everything else was easy as pie. Unlike Paul, I even added the chocolate chips because my family consists of chocoholics. Did I mention that we have a massive sweet tooth? ;-). I scraped the batter into my loaf pan and into the oven it went. This bread/ cake was incredible. Very fluffy, not dense at all! And the chocolate chips were the perfect addition!
(adapted from David Lebovitz)
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tblsp melted butter
- 1 large egg white
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup banana puree, made from 2 very ripe medium-sized bananas
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Grease a 9-inch loaf pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F .
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix in sugar.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, egg white, egg, banana puree, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into flour mixture until almost mixed. Add in chocolate chips until just combined.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the center feels lightly-springy and just done.
- Cool on a baking rack.